BROCKVILLE, Ontario, Aug. 22 — Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau issued the next information launch on Aug. 21:
Daily, entrance line well being care employees throughout the nation put their well being in danger as they work laborious to struggle COVID-19 and care for his or her fellow Canadians. These real-life heroes want the precise protecting gear to maintain themselves, their sufferers, and their households protected. That’s the reason the Authorities of Canada and the Authorities of Ontario are taking steps to ensure a safe, made-in-Canada provide of medical gear to guard their well being and security.
The Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, and the Premier of Ontario, Doug Ford, as we speak introduced an settlement between the Authorities of Canada, the Authorities of Ontario and 3M Canada on a joint funding to develop a producing facility for N95 respirators in Brockville, Ontario. The Authorities of Canada and the Authorities of Ontario are supporting 3M’s capital funding by contributing $23.33 million every. The ability will produce 25 million N95 respirators for the Authorities of Canada and 25 million for the Authorities of Ontario per 12 months over 5 years. It will present 50 million N95 respirators yearly to assist well being care employees, first responders and different important employees with the gear they should proceed their important work.
The well being and security of all Canadians stay the highest precedence of the Authorities of Canada and the Authorities of Ontario. As we step by step and safely restart the financial system, we’ll proceed to work with Canadian trade and make strategic investments to help our well being care employees and make our nation extra resilient to attainable future waves of the virus.
“Our well being care employees have been on the entrance strains of our nation’s struggle in opposition to COVID-19 for the reason that very starting. Whereas the virus stays a risk, we want to ensure these real-life heroes have the gear they want. This settlement with 3M Canada highlights the Authorities of Canada’s dedication to defending those that are doing a lot to maintain their fellow Canadians wholesome and protected.”
The Rt. Hon. Justin Trudeau, Prime Minister of Canada
“As a province and as a rustic, now we have turned our manufacturing may in the direction of preventing in opposition to COVID-19 and inspiring companies to step up and produce the life-saving private protecting gear and important well being provides we want. We’re proud to face with our federal companions and spend money on 3M’s new manufacturing facility for N95 respirators. It can create jobs and contribute to our financial restoration, however extra importantly, it is going to defend our entrance line well being care employees all through the pandemic and past.”
The Hon. Doug Ford, Premier of Ontario
“From the start of this pandemic, Canada’s entrance line well being care employees have labored tirelessly to maintain Canadians protected and wholesome. By partnering with 3M Canada, we’re securing a made-in-Canada provide of important life-saving gear and making certain our well being care employees have the protecting gear they should proceed their unimaginable efforts, and to do their job safely.”
The Hon. Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Business
“Ontario’s partnership with 3M and the federal authorities will present a made-in-Ontario resolution for the important medical gear our entrance line employees and well being care professionals depend on. This new facility will imply jobs, a stronger provide chain, and additional development in our world-class manufacturing capability.”
The Hon. Vic Fedeli, Ontario’s Minister of Financial Improvement, Job Creation and Commerce
“This long-term funding in 3M for the manufacturing of N95 respirators will improve Canada’s home provide of non-public protecting gear and create jobs right here at house. The flexibility to provide these extremely sought-after respirators proper right here in Ontario means dependable entry to this important piece of PPE for many who depend upon it to satisfy their duties in so many important providers.”
The Hon. Anita Anand, Minister of Public Companies and Procurement
“The COVID-19 pandemic has highlighted the significance of accelerating the supply of N95 respirators in North America. We’re extraordinarily proud to ship a made-in-Canada resolution that strengthens the North American area’s provide of PPE for well being care employees, first responders and people in important infrastructure and trade roles. We thank each the Canadian and Ontario governments for his or her shut collaboration on this effort and share their objective of defending Canadians.”
Penny Sensible, President, 3M Canada
* The primary deliveries of N95 respirators produced because of this funding will start in early 2021 to satisfy present demand for entrance line well being care employees.
* It’s anticipated that when totally operational greater than 100 million N95 respirators will come off this new line in Brockville per 12 months.
* A N95 respirator is likely one of the most vital items of non-public protecting gear to make sure the well being and security of entrance line well being care employees and mitigate the unfold of COVID-19.
* 3M is a acknowledged chief in respiratory safety merchandise, and its manufacturing capabilities for N95 respirators are in excessive demand worldwide. 3M Canada’s proposal was chosen from greater than 500 proposals on N95 respirators obtained and reviewed by the federal government.
* 3M Canada has a protracted historical past in Canada and employs roughly 2,000 individuals within the nation. It at the moment operates manufacturing amenities in Ontario (Perth, Brockville, Mississauga, and London), Quebec (Chicoutimi), and Manitoba (Morden), in addition to a variety of analysis and growth amenities throughout the nation.
* On March 20, the Authorities of Canada introduced Canada’s Plan to Mobilize Business to struggle COVID-19, a name to motion to producers to help COVID-19 response efforts by constructing and ramping up home industrial capability to satisfy the necessity for important provides.