Washington, D.C. — As personal corporations take a higher position in elections and voter engagement, a new issue brief from the Middle for American Progress and Enterprise for America outlines 17 ways in which the enterprise neighborhood will help increase voter turnout and be certain that People can vote safely throughout the pandemic.
Given the human, monetary, and logistical challenges that election officers are dealing with due to the pandemic, the personal sector can play an important position in decreasing the potential for confusion and even chaos on Election Day, the transient finds.
Retailers reminiscent of Previous Navy have already drawn consideration for providing to pay staff to work at polls on Election Day. Coca-Cola has declared November third an organization vacation. In 2018, corporations reminiscent of Spotify and Twitter displayed reminders of their apps to encourage customers to vote on Election Day. Lyft and Lime have provided to supply some customers with free rides to polls for the 2020 election. Patagonia might be internet hosting voter drop containers in Atlanta and Pittsburgh, whereas New Steadiness and Outside Analysis might be donating 1000’s of face masks.
However there are numerous different methods corporations will help.
“That is about taking constructive, nonpartisan motion to assist preserve our democracy sturdy whereas on the identical time defending public well being and constructing goodwill with clients and staff,” stated Alex Tausanovitch, director of marketing campaign finance and electoral reform at CAP. “America wants the enterprise neighborhood to assist overwhelmed native election officers tackle the scarcity of ballot employees, the dearth of secure, in-person polling places, and the necessity to course of an unprecedented quantity of mail-in ballots.”
“There’s a lot that corporations can do to assist us have secure and truthful elections,” stated Sarah Bonk, founder and CEO of Enterprise for America. “And companies that assist encourage voter participation throughout the COVID-19 pandemic can increase their model consciousness and construct goodwill with clients and staff. They will additionally play a important position in strengthening belief in our democracy, thus serving to to scale back polarization in our nationwide politics.”
Among the concepts embody:
- Show notifications or pop-up reminders to inform individuals how you can register and remind them of the native deadlines
- Provide areas for poll drop containers
- Provide giant areas for use as polling places
- Assist notify staff about voter registration
- Host voter registration and absentee poll software drives at high-traffic places
- Assist educate audiences, clients, and staff about voting by mail and early voting
- Present absentee poll purposes to staff or clients, the place doable
- Present paid day without work for workers to vote
- Lend mail-processing gear to election officers
- Present secure and free transportation to the polls
- Present help and protecting gear to voters ready in line
Learn the transient: “17 Ways Companies Can Help Americans Vote Safely” by Alex Tausanovitch, Sarah Bonk, and Richard Eidlin.
For extra data or to speak to an professional, please contact Sam Hananel at gro.ssergorpnacirema@lenanahs or 202-478-6327.